KEY ADVANTAGES OF COUNTER-FLOW HEAT EXCHANGERS
- Сorrosion resistant aluminum
- NO odor transfer
- NO moisture transfer
- Very high efficiency with small overall dimensions
- Strong stability
- High density
- NO fire danger
Our devices are oriented in the energy recovery direction, enabling the end consumer to save up to 93 % in terms of energy. That is why our equipment can be used in domestic, commercial or public heat recovery systems. All this in compliance to the implementation of the European Union legislation to reduce energy consumption in buildings and to the ECO DESIGN 2016. Thus setting to promote demand for energy and heat recovery in ventilation systems, and that the legislation has compelled most of the EU member countries to set targets in order to reduce their national level energy consumption by monitoring energy consumption in new buildings, as well as existing ones.
COUNTER-FLOW HEAT EXCHANGER 3D MODEL
HOW DOES THE HEAT exchanger WORK (AIR-TO-AIR)?
Work principle of the counter-flow plate heat exchangers is very simple. In the counter-flow heat exchanger core, airflows are passed by each other along parallel aluminum plates in counter-flow direction. This allows to achieve the higher temperature efficiency than using crossflow heat exchanger core. Two neighbor aluminum foils form a channel for fresh and exhaust air streams. Heat is transferred when the partial air streams flow crossly and partial air streams flow counter through the channels, and the fresh airflow and exhaust airflow are totally separated.
COUNTER-FLOW HEAT EXCHANGER’S MAIN CHARACTERISTICS
- High sensible heat recovery
- Total separation of fresh and exhaust air streams
- Heat recovery efficiency up to 93%
- 2-side press shaping
- Single or double folded edge
- Completely joint sealing
- NO screws or rivets in any part
BY-PASS AND dampers
- The heat exchanger consists of a large number of metal plates that separate supply and exhaust air streams. Exhaust airflow flowing through the heat exchanger walls transmits a large part of its heat energy and heats the supply air. Streams with each other do not mix. The main disadvantage of the metal heat exchanger is condensation, because can cause frost at low temperature and in presence of condensation. To avoid this, it is recommended to use a by-pass system when defrost required: the supply air is passed through the by-pass compartment (passing by the heat exchanger). Whereas until the cold air goes through the by-pass and the return air defrosts the heat exchanger. The bypass system can be at any part of exchanger and the dampers after it or conversely.
- The usage of damper and bypass may affect little bit the fan power consumption, but, on the other hand, the system will have a higher seasonal efficiency. Moreover, heat exchangers are physically smaller, but with higher pressure drops. It is a typical solution to by-pass the airflow using dampers and a by-pass channel, when a heat recovery is not required. Dampers provide adjusting of air temperature. They work by rotation: opening of the one damper is proportional to closing of another.
Height of damper flap profiles
|Model||Height, mm||Gear Type|
|50 A||50 mm||Hidden gears|
|100 A||100 mm||Hidden gears|
Usage class and Application area
|C(3)||Dwellings, Houses, Flats, Apartments|
|AH aluminum handle|
|PA preparation for electric actuator (side mounted)|
|PT preparation for electric actuator (top mounted)|
SIZES OF OUR COUNTER-FLOW HEAT EXCHANGERS
- The following table shows all available models of aluminium plate counter-flow heat exchangers and overall dimensions.
- The sides A, B, D, E, F, G are fixed. The dimension C is the width of the exchanger and can be set manually
- The width of all available exchanger models can be manufactured from 100 mm to 1000 mm in one-piece unit.
- The heat exchanger will be delivered in few identical blocks if the width is more than 1000 mm.
- Ability to set the built-in bypass channel for all sizes, the parameters are calculated automatically by the selection program.
COUNTER-FLOW HEAT EXCHANGER SIZES
CLEANING OF THE COUNTER-FLOW
With reference to the VDI 6022, the cleaning of the components has to be done including the core.
Cleaning pressure: up to 5 bar
Aluminium counter-flow heat exchanger can be wet cleaned and up to a pressure of 5 bar working pressure.
The cleaning can be made with cold or warm (up to max. 70°C) water. Household cleaners are allowed.
Recuperators are corrosion and weather resistant.
- A correct cleaning and maintenance of the counter-flow must be in accordance with VDI 6022, that clearly asserts that air conditioning devices should provide physiologically beneficial indoor climate conditions and ensure the quality of indoor air.
- The VDI norm further states that health risks and a potential decreased sense of well-being caused by air contaminated by micro-organisms or bacteria should be avoided.
- Counter-flow heat exchangers are produced in high grade aluminum.
- Materials are identical to the materials used in the main application against corrosive conditions and sea water resistant.
- Examination according to VDI 6022 criteria.
- Apply to the inertness test, microbial safety and hygiene.
- This applies to: aluminium foil – quality: alloy 8079
- Aluminium sheets – grade: EN AW-5754 (AlMg 3).
Air heat exchanger can be with different coating types
- Aluminium is the best corrosion protection. Used most pure aluminium alloy with a minimum content of iron and copper, which mainly effect on the quality resistance against the corrosion. We use aluminium alloy under the number 8079, the characteristic of "0".
- Gold epoxy. Suitable conditions for a high probability of corrosion emergence or under stringent exploitation requirements. Full protection against aggressive environments by isolating the end portions of the plates. First-class solution for use in the marine environment, for swimming pool applications, areas near the coast, painting tanks and boats.
- Hydrophilic coating changes the properties of the surface of the heat exchanger and significantly reduces the angle drop. There are some main advantages: fast removal of moisture from the heat exchanger and reduces its overall resistance increase freezing by 20%, is used for the adiabatic air conditioning systems.
- Antibacterial. Antibacterial treatment achieved by using an effective noble metal compound. Creates an unfavourable environment for bacteria, viruses, mold, fungi upon contact with surfaces that prevent their reproduction and subsequently the emergence of various diseases.
- Ventilation is fresh air that enters a building in a controlled way and exhausts excess of moisture and reduces odors and stuffiness. This leakage, called also infiltration, is outside air entering a house uncontrollably through cracks and openings as doors and windows. It is unwise to rely on air leakage for ventilation.
- During winter time or windy weather, too much air may enter the house and, during summer or calm weather, too little. Also, a leaky building that allows moldy, dusty crawlspace or attic air to enter is not very healthy.
- Thus the unintentional or accidental introduction of outside air into a house, typically through cracks in the building envelope and through use of doors for passage. In the summer, infiltration can bring humid outdoor air into the building. Whenever there is infiltration, there is corresponding exfiltration elsewhere in the building. In the winter, this can result in warm, moist indoor air moving into cold envelope cavities. In either case, condensation can occur in the structure, resulting in mold or rot. Infiltration is caused by wind, stack effect, and mechanical equipment in the building.
- Leakage control is an important but commonly misunderstood component of the energy efficient house. Tightening the structure with caulking and sealants has several positive impacts.
AN ENERGY-EFFICIENT HOUSE WILL:
- Have lower heating bills due to less heat loss
- Have fewer drafts and be more comfortable
- Reduce the chance of mold and rot because moisture is less likely to enter and become trapped in cavities
- Have a better performing ventilation system
- Potentially require smaller heating and cooling equipment capacities
Our mission is to provide to ventilation controlled unit producers air tight exchanger. Therefor we grant our aluminium counter-flow heat exchangers with less than 0,25% air leakage despite Eurovent Norm allows 0,5%.
Herewith we declare that our counter-flow heat exchangers described with Code PCF are produced and tested in order to grant leakage below 0,25%.
Every single counter-flow produced is strictly tested to grant tightness before they are sent to customers. Tested with high precision instruments at 100/250/400 PA Test report available on request.
QUALITY IS NOT AN ACT, IT IS A HABIT
ERI Corporation S.r.L experts check and certify the safety, performance, quality and above all leakage on all produced counter-flow heat plate exchangers prior to delivery. Tests are carried out with advanced equipment tool and a print out of measurement results including graphic chart is sent to customer as proof that heat recovery components are in fully compliance to the DIN norm required from Eurovent Certification.
Step 1 In the optic of improving our products, our counter-flow plate heat exchangers are tested to offer the lowest leakage possible. Our PCF are tested for the tightness before dispatching the goods to final customer. Tightness test is inspired to the requirements of Eurovent certification.
Step 2 After the gluing process, we test all exchangers and test the specimen on both sides with air pressure difference from 400 Pa for internal leakage (folding and separators) and with the same pressure for external leakage from the casing.
Step 3 Our pursuit of maximum leakage at pressure difference from 400 Pa is standardized on 0,2% from nominal air volume in m3/h.
The selection software calculates the necessary technical operating data of the Counter-flow and is also available as stand-alone Black Box or as dll for ready integration into your running calculation system.Download selection software
- Choosing the right aluminium alloy for a plate exchanger can be a difficult process.
- There are many types of aluminium alloy available and most come in various tempers. Alloys are divided into groups each with certain physical characteristics and properties that may or may not suit your needs.
- With regards to corrosion resistance, the purer the aluminium - the better the natural corrosion resistance of the metal.
- Copper has the most detrimental effect on corrosion resistance and magnesium the least. Corrosion is the gradual destruction of material, usually metals, by chemical reaction with its environment. In the most common use of the word, this means electrochemical oxidation of metal in reaction with an oxidant such as oxygen, and degrades the useful properties of materials and structures including strength, appearance and permeability.
- The alloy we use for our plates is codified under the 8079, temper “0”. Properties of this alloy are the good resistance against corrosive process due to the low content of alloying elements such as iron and copper, good workability which avoid stamping problems, excellent plastic properties which reduce the risk of holes on the fins.
- Using the right raw material, we grant the best product to our customers, avoiding hidden problems may occur after the installation of the components.
- ERI Corporation S.R.L cooperate with several research institutes to the improvement of the products in terms of stability, quality and corrosion resistance, therefore, should you have any special project apart from the standard procedure, we would be glad to support you.
ADVANTAGES OF THE ALUMINIUM COUNTER-FLOW PLATE HEAT EXCHANGER VS OTHER TYPES
Following advantages of aluminum as base material for counter-flow heat plate exchanger against different materials are:
- Aluminum is a base microbial inert, thus not metabolized and highly hygienic.
- Distribution of airflow though definite channeled guides, thus ensuring high performances by simultaneous low pressure losses over the entire volumetric spectrum.
- At ambient temperatures occurs no embrittlement of the material.
- At freezing point, the aluminum plate heat exchanger continues to operate safely and without leaks.
- Aluminum exchanger freeze at low temperatures much later than the plastic exchanger.
- Electrostatic charges on aluminum exchangers are not possible, therefore no dirt accumulation risk.
- Ten sizes available to cover volumes from 50-3000 m3/h for one unit.
- Precision engineering with totally smooth outer surfaces to ensure optimum sealing and perfect matching to the A/C.
- No use of screws, bolts or drivers and long life span resistant to frost damage.
With the continuous increase of energy costs and all the problems linked to the CO2 reduction, the usage of an air to air heat recovery systems (domestic and other) is becoming a must. You can not only reduce heating, humidifying and cooling costs, but you can participate actively to the reduction of CO2 emissions. Precise machine manufacturing. The investment along with the right use of the recovery systems will be amortized within short time. Frame of seawater resistant aluminum.